Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Bluest Eye: An In Depth Look

“I got blues in my mealbarrel
Blues up on the shelf
I got blues in my mealbarrel
Blues up on the shelf
Blues in my bedroom
‘Cause I’m sleepin’ by myself” (Morrison 51).


Blues is a reoccurring theme in The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison. The section above is but one quote of many examples of that musical style.  Blues is a form of gospel music derived from the “deep south” (Google sources).  The characters in The Bluest Eye move to the north in order to find more peace but discover it is no different than the south.  Morrison includes the reference to the Blues Music in order to convey that the south is still very present in the characters and brings about the theme of heritage.  No matter what skin color a person is, everyone has some sort of past or heritage.  Heritage is one thing that unites every person.  Lastly, Morrison connected the theme of blues into the opening of the book.  The story describes a “cat” and “dog” which are actually nicknames that originated from blues/jazz artists (Blues and Jazz History).  Therefore, Morrison uses the blues musical genre-throughout her novel- in order to serve as a heritage trait from the south that unites all people: white or black.

No comments:

Post a Comment