Sunday, December 21, 2014

Walter's Wishes (Before the bad news)


It ain’t easy being the only man in a house full of lazy women.  “Nobody in this house is ever going to understand me”.  I have to get up every mornin’’, knowing that I am 35 years old, with my own boy having to sleep in the living room- and I can only tell him stories of how “rich white people live”.  Now Mama is gonna get a check in the mail worth TEN THOUSAND dollars. Its funny because Willie, Bobo, and I got this whole business planned out. Were gonna open a liquor store and each of us are contributing 10 thousand dollars.  Now lemme tell you baby, lemme tell you that a man can not live, when he’s got to drive around a rich white man all day while sayin’ “yes sir” and “no sir”. NO! A man needs to be a head of the household, someone his son can look up to and be proud of.  Thats why the women need to understand that I need to take the money to Springfield.  With the income I will be making we can live in a huge house, with a garden for Mama, and easily pay for Beneatha’s medical school.  Now I have been drinking much lately, but Ruth done got herself pregnant and she is threatening to kill my baby. A father can’t deal with that pain, thats why I need to drink some to ease it away. So now if some black women can understand me, I would be much better.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you explored Walter's desire to have a patriarchal family. Also, your concession-rebuttal format addressing drinking perfectly downplays and provides an excuse for his behavior as Walter himself would want to do.

    ReplyDelete