Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Function of Memes


First let me begin by describing what a meme is. Basically a meme is a picture of something-possibly a person, animal, or object- that when words are added to the picture, represent an ironic situation.  These pictures people then use to describe their day or whatever they wish to add humor to.  Yet, how do we think the people in the meme feel. In a way we are all oppressors when we laugh at a picture of someone who making a face and is caught off-guard.  Another phrase for this in current jargon is a “candid” picture.  So what makes these situations so humorous to us? Well, a quick search on Google will bring up hundreds of websites, all allowing you to create your own meme. As one website has a button entitled “insert embarrassing image here” (funny-memes), it is apparent that it is irony that creates the humor.  When we see a picture of someone or something imitating an action we do in a more exposed way, it seems strange to us and causes a reflex of laughter.  One episode of the popular TV show The Big Bang Theory states “humor is derived from the element of surprise” which is backed up by the example below.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Nate, this was very interesting, especially with this week's seminar. It has never occurred to me that we are oppressing people by spreading these memes, since they are so common on the Internet. This really makes me think twice about all these online pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you brought this up Nate. It is something to think about, but I do not know how I stand on the issue. You made it pretty impartial and objective. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post! I sympathize deeply for those who are forced to be the apex of humor in memes. I agree that humor is inevitable when someone is pictured unprepared, but this is not healthy for a universal acceptance of all people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point! I never thought about memes this way and it will certainly affect the way I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point Nate! I never thought that I was being an oppresor when I laughed at a meme. In a way I guess a meme is a type of cyberbullying. Ever since the seminar this week I've had a new look on memes and think twice about how I react to them. Again great point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for explaining what a meme was. I didn't want to ask in class, because Ms. Valentino seemed really steamed about it. I'm glad you connected it to the whole oppressor/oppressed thing (and that I finally managed to get to your blog with a (.), not a (@) in the link). I've never used memes, so I have no expertise on the subject, but could one argue that using memes to bring humor and happiness to great quantities of people is worth the embarrassment of one person, for the common good?

    ReplyDelete